Faculty of Humanities
Dean of the Faculty: Maksym Karpovets, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Office hours: Monday – Friday:2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Associate Dean: Larysa S. Minich, Cand. Sc. (Philology), Associate Professor
Office hours: Monday – Friday:9 a.m. – 6 p.m., lunch break: 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
Associate Dean for Research: Vitaliy V. Maksymchuk, Cand.Sc., senior lecturer
Office hours: Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., lunch break: 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
Senior Assistant: Yulia V. Hurska
Office hours:Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., lunch break: 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
General information about academic programs of the Faculty
Faculty of Humanities was founded by the order of the Rector of NUOA No 45 of August 22, 1995.
In its activities, the Faculty follows the objectives of transformation of education in the humanities as per the Law of Ukraine “On Education“, and the program “Education of the XXI century“. This process requires the usage of the latest methods and technologies of education.
In the process of their studies graduates of the faculty acquire:
- conceptual knowledge adapted to the modern requirements of the labour market;
- skills of critical thinking, project activities, solution of complex tasks, self-dependent administration of the education process;
- the ability to conduct research and innovative activities for professional purposes.
The content of the curricula and the system of organisation of the educational process at the university promote students’ creative thinking and communication skills that are an integral part of expertise of modern specialists.
Baccalaureate (first-cycle academic degree):
- 033 Philosophy. Specializations: Religion in International Relations, Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage;
- 034 Culturology. Specializations: Culturology;
- 035 Philology. Specialization: Ukrainian Language and Literature;
- 035 Philology. Specialization: Creative Writing;
- 061 Journalism. Specialization: Newspaper and Broadcast Journalism, Photography;
Master’s degree programs (second-cycle academic degree):
- 031 Religious Studies. Specializations: Religion and Media, Ecumenical Studies;
- 034 Culturology. Specialization: Culturology;
- 035 Philology. Specialization: Ukrainian Language and Literature;
- 061 Journalism. Specializations: Management, Organization, Production and Technical Work in Mass Media; Research and Teaching Activities
- 041 Theology
Post-graduate program (third educational and scientific level):
- 031 Religious Studies. Specializations: History of Religion, Philosophy of Religion
- 033 Philosophy. Specialization Social Philosophy and Philosophy of History.
- 035 Philology. Specialization Theory of Literature
- Department of Culture Studies and Philosophy;
- Department of the Ukrainian Language and Literature;
- Department of Religious Studies and Theology;
- Department of Journalism.
Scientific Council of the Faculty
The structure of the Council of the Faculty of Humanities in 2016-2017 academic year:
- Dmytro M. Shevchuk, Doctor of Science (Philosophy), Associate Professor, Dean of the Faculty of Humanities – Chairperson of the Council;
- Larysa S. Minich, Cand.Sc. (Philology), Associate Professor, Associate Dean for Studies and Education – Vice Chairperson;
- Vitalii V. Maksymchuk, Cand.Sc. (Philology), senior lecturer – Secretary;
- Maksym V. Karpovets, Cand.Sc. (Philosophy), senior lecturer, Associate Dean for Research;
- Ivan M. Khomiak , Doctor of Science (Pedagogics), Full Professor, Academician of the Ukrainian Academy of Science of Higher School, Head of the Department of the Ukrainian Language and Literature;
- Mykola O. Zaitsev, Doctor of Science (Philosophy), Full Professor, Head of the Department of Culture Studies and Philosophy;
- Liudmyla V. Suprun, Doctor of Science (Social Communication), Full Professor, Head of the Department of Journalism;
- Nadiia G. Stokolos, Doctor of Science (History), Full Professor, Head of the Department of Religious Studies and Theology;
- Mariia S. Petrushkevych, Cand.Sc. (Philosophy), Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Gender Studies;
- Oleksandr L. Glotov, Doctor of Science (Philology), Professor at the Department of Journalism;
- Svitlana O. Kocherha, Doctor of Science (Philology), Professor at the Department of the Ukrainian Language and Literature;
- Serhii I. Zhyliuk, Doctor of Science (History), Professor at the Department of Religious Studies and Theology;
- Zhanna O. Yankovska, Cand.Sc. (Philology), Associate Professor at the Department of Culture Studies and Philosophy;
- Nataliia B. Kruhlyk, Senior Assistant at the Department of Journalism;
- Iryna Y. Rabchuk, lecturer, Postgraduate Student;
- Vladyslav Danylchenko, student, Head of the Student Council of the Faculty of Humanities;
- Sofiia Kravchuk, student, Associate Head of the Student Council of the Faculty of Humanities;
- Yurii Gunderuk, student, Head of the Research Unit of the Student Council of the Faculty of Humanities.
During the meetings, the Student Council of the Faculty of Humanities considers issues regarding the organization and conducting teaching and educational process, scientific research, the work of the departments etc.
Lecturers of the Faculty of Humanities offer the following certificate programs:
- Ukrainian Business Language (Larysa S. Minich, Assoc. Prof.)
- Criticism and Reviewing (Maksym V. Karpovets, senior lecturer)
- Practical Journalism (V. Golubiev, lecturer)
Laboratories, scientific groups, schools and studios at the Faculty
Department of Journalism:
- project group Radiojornalism (headed by Roman Shulyk, senior lecturer);
- Creative Workshop (headed by Nazaruk, V., lecturer);
- project group TV Journalism (headed by O. Kostiuchenko, senior lecturer );
- project group New Media (headed by Roman Shulyk, senior lecturer);
- problem group The School of Universal Journalist (headed by V. Golubiev, lecturer).
Department of the Ukrainian Language and Literature:
- Research Studio of Didactic Linguistics (headed by prof. Khomiak, I. M);
- scientific group Genius Loci (headed by prof. Kocherha, S. O.);
- lexicographic laboratory Ukrainian Author-Specific Neography (headed by Maksymchuk, V. V., senior lecturer);
- laboratory Dialectical Studies on the Territory of Rivne Province (headed by assoc. prof. Kyrylkova, N. V.);
- literary studio ROVER (headed by assoc. prof. Krylovets, A. O.).
Department of Religious Studies and Theology:
- project group Religious Tourism (headed by assoc. prof. Shapravskyi, S. A.
- practical laboratory Religious Journalism (headed by assoc. prof. Fylypchuk)
Department of Culture Studies and Philosophy:
- project group Philosophy of Literature (headed by senior lecturer Karpovets, M. V.);
- cinema club Imago (headed by senior lecturer Karpovets, M. V.);
- project group Anthropological Discourse (headed by prof. Zaitsev, M. O.).
Resource base of the Faculty
The Students’ Literature Studio, headed by assoc. prof. Krylovets, A.O., operates at the Department of the Ukrainian Language and Literature. Gifted students of our university write and analyze their prose and poetical works, discuss burning issues of modern literary process. In 2003, the Resource Center of the Department of Religious Studies and Theology was founded with the help of charity support from domestic libraries, foundations and authors. In the Resource Center there is the Bible published in various languages (Ukrainian, Hebrew, Old Slavonic, English, German and Greek), Biblical dictionaries, the Quran in Arabic, ancient prayer books, various books on religious and theological topics, textbooks, teaching materials. There is an access to the catalogue of video and audio materials. The Resource Centre of the Department of Cultural Studies and Philosophy is provided with textbooks, teaching manuals, monographs on cultural studies and philosophy. There are art albums dated from antiquity till the XXI century, audio- and videocassettes with materials for educational courses.
The Faculty cooperates with Ukrainian and foreign higher educational establishments and scientific institutions.
The Department of Culture Studies and Philosophy maintains close ties with the Department of Philosophy and Culture Studies at The National University of Kyiv Mohyla Academy, Jagiellonian University, Department of Culture of Rivne State Humanitarian University, Department of Philosophy of The National University of Water Management and Nature Resources Use, G.S. Skovoroda Institute of Philosophy of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, the Department of Folklore and Ukrainian Studies Center at Philosophy Faculty of Kiev T.H. Shevchenko National University, International Cultural Association "New Acropolis", Institute of Higher Education NAPS of Ukraine, Ukrainian Association of Philosophy of Education, Institute of Philosophy of the University of Zielona Góra (Poland).
The Department of the Ukrainian Language and Literature has signed agreements of cooperation between The National University of Ostroh Academy and The Institute of the Ukrainian language of NAS of Ukraine, The Institute of Pedagogy of The National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine, Rivne Institute of Regional In-Service Teacher Training, Khmelnytskyi National University, Mykolaiv V.O. Sukhomlynsky National University.
The Department of Journalism cooperates with the Foundation «Nove Media" (Warsaw, Poland) since 2011. In the context of this cooperation, the Department implements the Project W, which gives students the opportunity to attend workshops on online journalism held by Warsaw media teams. The Coordinator of the project is Nazaruk, V. M., a lecturer of the Department of Journalism. During this project, the students had the opportunity to visit ESKA ROCK, the largest Youth Radio of Poland, the editorial office of the magazine Newsweek-Polska and of the newspaper Rzeczpospolita. In July 2012, our students became the members of the Ukrainian-Polish-Belarussian seminar Journalists – activists in partnership with the Foundation Nove Media (Warsaw). In 2014, the students of the Department of Journalism participated in ten-day internship in the Polish edition of Gazeta Wyborcza in Lublin (Poland), as well as visited regional channels RTV, Rivne 1, Sfera and publishing houses.
The Department of Religious Studies and Theology collaborates with the Department of Religious Studies of the Institute of Philosophy named after G. Skovoroda of the NAS of Ukraine, Chernivtsi National University named after Y. Fedkovych, Departments of Religious Studies of Kyiv National University named after T. Shevchenko and Donetsk Institute of Artificial Intelligence, the Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv, Islamic University of Madinah (Saudi Arabia), the Religious Information Service of Ukraine (RISU), the Association of Journalists, Publishers and Speakers Novomedia.
Significant assistance to the Dean’s Office and the Departments in managing the educational process is provided by the student self-governance board, namely the Student Council of the Faculty of Humanities.
Educational work is carried out in accordance with the academic activity. It includes informing students about the academic activity at the University; helping students in preparation for national and university holidays; implementation of the pedagogical control over observance of the moral and ethical standards, the Statute and internal regulations of the National University of Ostroh Academy, etc. by students. Among the major forms of curators’ educational work there are visiting hours, which can be held in the form of conversations, round tables discussions, discussion clubs, conferences, seminars and other means of educational influence in student classrooms and dormitories (with the involvement of professionals in various fields); cultural outings to historical places of the native region, museums and art galleries, exhibitions and theaters etc.; individual educational work with students with regard to their individual peculiarities.