International Conference Thrynos by Meletius Smotrytsky and Eastern Theological Discourse in Early Modernity
September 28, 2012
Thrynos by Meletius Smotrytsky and Eastern Theological Discourse in Early Modernity International Conference
The National University of Ostroh Academy,
Ostroh, Ukraine, 19-21 December 2012
Thrynos by Meletius Smotrytsky (1577 – 1633) is one of the most famous yet less studied masterpieces of the Orthodox theological heritage. The International Conference focuses on the search of new solutions in quests of theological, social and political discourse in Eastern Europe in the time when Thrynos appeared.
Key issues of the Conference:
- Thrynos: history, language, philosophy;
- Meletius Smotrytsky’s theological ideas;
- Meletius Smotrytsky in the Ukrainian and Polish polemical literature in the 16th and 17th centuries;
- Scholasticism in Ukraine and Poland;
- Ukrainian and Polish philosophical thought in the 16th and 17th centuries;
- Interreligious dialogue in early modern polemical literature.
Working languages: Ukrainian, Polish, English
Selected papers will be specially published. The organisers will provide accommodation and meals for participants.