Ostroh Slavic Greek Latin Academy was the first higher educational establishment in Ukraine and Eastern Europe. It was founded by Prince Vasyl-Konstiantyn Ostrozkyi and Princess Halshka Ostrozka in 1576.
Among the graduates of the Academy were such famous political, cultural and church figures as Hetman Petro Konashevych-Sahaidachnyi, brothers Demian and Severyn Nalyvaiko, Meletii Smotrytskyi, Iov Boretskyi, Zakharia Kopystenskyi and Yelysei Pletynetskyi. Demian Nalyvaiko, Kyrylo Lukaris, Yan Liatosh, Emanuil Moskhopulo taught at the Academy, and Herasym Smotrytskyi was its first rector.
The revival of Ostroh Academy began after 12 April 1994 when the first decree of the President of Ukraine concerning Ostroh Academy was signed. According to the President’s decree dated 30 October 2000 Ostroh Academy University acquired the status of the National University. The University has an exemplary reputation both in Ukraine and abroad. In 1999 Ostroh Academy was honoured with 27th International prize “For Quality” in Paris, France.
Present-day Ostroh Academy is:
- high-end computer laboratories;
- Internet access;
- modern language laboratories;
- virtual library;
- newest teaching methods;
- module and rating system;
- sports clubs;
- Culture and Art Centre;
- international exchange programmes;
- opportunity to learn two professions.