Department of Religious Studies and Theology
Head: Nadia H. Stokolos, Dr.Sc. (History), Professor
Contact Information: oldmonastery building
Tel/Fax: (03654) 3-05-97
Office hours: Monday - Friday: 8.45-17.45, lunch time: 13.00-14.00
Senior Laboratory Assistant:: Mariia I. Ilchyshyna
Contact Information: oldmonastery building
Tel/Fax: (03654) 3-05-97
Office hours: Monday - Friday: 9.00 - 13.00
General information about department
Religion (Religious studies) - is one of the leading sectors of modern education and science. Teaching and religious assimilation is an important contribution to the liberalization of education. It promotes mastery achievements of world and national culture, helps self-determination in the face of ideological issues, forms spiritual interests, valuable orientation. Religion is important for the formation of professional experts, who are prepared to scientific activity in the field of basic researches in educational, legal, cultural and media activities.
Promising directions in religious studies are: the study of religious traditions of the East with the profound study of Arabic and Chinese (in full-time department); study of secular and confessional psychology and sociology of religion; study the conditions of formation and development of alternative religious movements and cults; religious journalism and religious tourism.
Department of Religious Studies was created in 2001 at the Center of Religious Studies at the Faculty of Humanities of the National University "Ostrog Academy". From 2001 to 2007, the head of the department was Doctor of Philosophy, Professor Kraliuk Petro. Since October 2007, head of the department of Religious Studies holds Doctor of History, Professor Zhylyuk Sergei.
State license of Ministry of Education in the direction of:
- Bachelor of Philosophy (0203 "humanities" 6.020301 "Philosophy");
- Master of Religious Studies (0203 "humanities" 8.02030102 "Religion").
Conceptual training of Bachelor and Master of Philosophy at the National University of Ostroh Academy is different from other universities by these following features:
- except of basic specialty students have the opportunity of a 2 year (III-IV course) studying on further specialization (optional): "religious tourism and pilgrimage", "religious journalism", "religion in international relations";
- curriculum includes courses that reflect the appropriate profile:
"Religious Journalism" (Fundamentals of religious journalism, management and marketing in religious information sphere, legal publishing, Proofreading of theological and religious texts, Professional Ethics of a journalist,Workshop on religious journalism);
"Religious Tourism" (Fundamentals of religious tourism and pilgrimage, Religious organization and management, Management of religious tourism and pilgrimage, Regulation of pilgrimage, with cultural and religious tourism, Information support of religious activities, Current status and trends in religious tourism);
"Religion in International Relations" (International activities of religious organizations, Organization and information support of religious tourism, Religion in international law, Current religious situation in the East, Religious situation in the EU, Religious factor in migration processes).
This allows to train professionals who know how to critically interpret and analyze the social and religious issues and events with modern technologies of publishing and media business, charities or organizations, religious and pilgrimage tours etc.
preparation of specialists, adapted to the needs of Ukraine, where intense and steadily, religious tourism and religious journalism are growing.
After graduation students receive bachelor's and master's religious philosophy qualification which gives them the right to:
- establish the causes and conditions that contribute to the emergence of religious extremism, ethnoseparatism and predict their consequences: ethnic and ethnic-religious conflicts;
- implement organizational and management activities in the field related to the functioning of public institutions of religion and the humanities;
- conduct scientific researches in the field of actual issues in religious and sociological researches in the confessional environment;
- perform expert functions aimed at scientific and information support activities of state legislative and executive authorities, law enforcement agencies, cultural institutions, NGOs (nongoverment organisations), commercial enterprises;
- implement educational programs of religious education in secondary and higher institutions at a level that meets accepted standards.
Which positions can a graduate work?
- teacher at the school, secondary and higher education;
- consultant in the structure of government on interaction with religious organizations and NGOs;
- travel company manager (direction - religious tourism);
- expert in the state of religion expertise;
- information and religious analyst (journalist) that highlights the interaction between religion and society;
- press-secretary of the legislative and executive powers;
- methodist of philosophy and religious studies cabinets;
- employee in research, museum and library centers.
Who teaches future religionists?
Department of Religious Studies and Theology is a producing Department for direction 6.020301 "Philosophy" and specialty 8.02030102 "Religion". Thus, the total number of teaching staff, working on specialty, is 14 people full-time staffing - 78.6%, the average age of full-time teachers with academic degrees - 38 years.
The department of religious studies and theology employs 14 people, including in the state - 11 people, including doctors – 5, candidates - 8 persons; internal combine working for main job - 4 people.
Total of teaching staff OANU providing teaching subjects mentioned specialties and areas of training - 34 people, including: regular - 30 people, representing 88.2% of the total number of persons; with academic degrees and titles - 88.2% of them full-time - 88.2%.
Research Department combines a complex topic "Religious factors in the context of social and ideological transformations." At the department operates postgraduate specialty 09.00.11 - "Religion" and specialized council with the right of defense of thesis for the degree of candidate of historical sciences, specialty 09.00.01 - Religious (historical science).
The nurturing of professional education religious studies at the National University "Ostrog Academy" helps focus the department on a combination of learning activities with scientific studies, as evidenced by systematic scientific seminars and conferences, publishing scientific papers by faculty chairs - monographs, textbooks, scientific articles; successful defense of the thesis graduate department; organization and conduct of student research activities.
Department of Religious Studies of the National University of Ostroh Academy publishes collection of scientific articles "Scientific Notes. Series: historical religion ", which contains the results of studies of historical religious studies that reveals the problem of religious factor value in the context of social and ideological transformations.
At the department, there are following scientific groups, schools and laboratories
- 1. Scientific School "Actual problems of Christianity" under the direction of S.I. Zhyliuk and "Teaching Christian School" led by V.M. Zhukovskyi.
- 2. Laboratory "Religious Journalism" led by S. Fylypchuk (obtained quarterly information and analytical magazine "Rivne religious").
- 3. Circle "Moreshet" ("Heritage") by D.V. Tsolin.
- 4. Translation Centre of the sacred languages under the direction of R Turkoniak, D.V. Tsolin, M.M. Yakubovych.
The Department staff cooperates with the Institute of Philosophy of NAS of Ukraine, Chernivtsi National University after Y. Fedkovych, religious studies departments of Kiev National University after T.Shevchenko and Donetsk Institute of Artificial Intelligence, Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv, Medynsky University (Saudi Arabia), Religious Information Service of Ukraine (RISU), an association of journalists, publishers and speakers ”Novomedia”.