Department of Political Science
Head: Andrii I. Smyrnov, PhD in History (kandidat nauk), Associate professor
Contact Information: old monastery building
phone.: +38 03654 22949
Office hours: Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. break: 1 p.m. – 2 p.m., consultations: Tuesday . 3.30 p.m. - 4.30 p.m.
Department of Political Science was established in 2001 on the basis of the Faculty of Humanities.
The department provides training in two different educational levels: Bachelor and Master of Political Science.
Field - 0301 Social and Political Sciences.
Training programme 6.030104 Political Science.
Speciality 8.03010401 Political Science.
Qualification - Bachelor of Political Science – duration: 4 years.
Since 2013 Department of Political Science with State University of Shimon Shymonovits ( Zamosct, Poland) and High School of International Relations and Public Communication (Chelm, Poland) set up a training program with the issuance of double diplomas of Bachelor degree of Political Science.
Qualification – Master’s degree in Political Science is 2 years of training period (based on education and training of Bachelor of political science, history, international relations, country studies).
On May, 14, 2013 during the tenth anniversary meeting of the Consortium of the University of Warsaw and Ukrainian universities, rector of Ostroh Academy, Professor Ihor Pasichnyk signed a cooperation agreement between the University of Warsaw and Ostroh Academy, by the the results of which there was established a common curriculum "Oriental Studies" with the issuance of double diplomas of Master’s degree in Political Science of Ostroh Academy and the University of Warsaw.
Teaching staff today are twenty specialists who work on a regular basis and pluralisitically. Fifteen teachers are employees of the Department of Political Science and other university departments. Among the invited lecturers are the professors of the National University of "Kyiv-Mohyla Academy", Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Rivne State Humanitarian University.
There is methodical study at the department, which is staffed with scientific, educational and methodical literature, the highest-rated social and political publications of Ukraine.
Students of the Department of Political Science deepen the theoretical knowledge, carrying out applied researches at the Institute of Social Researches of NaUOA.
On the initiative of students in 2001 there was created the student political club "Polis», (polis.oa.edu.ua), in September 2006 and it was reorganized in student-teacher research laboratory and community organisation "School of Political Analytics 'Polis' ". Meeting of the School is in the form of presentation of analytical reports of students, discussions, meetings with politicians, public authorities and local governments. In 2013 SPA "Polis" is being joined to the "Association of regional analytical centres". Funded by the European Union, ""School of Political Analytics 'Polis' " takes part in "Association of regional analytical centres: a tool to improve the effectiveness of administration in the regions of Ukraine" and "Regional policy in Ukraine: public monitoring of regional development strategies. "
Since 2010 “Centre of Political Studies” started to function (Cpr.oa.edu.ua). The first step of the Centre was the organization of round tables on current topics of political life in Ukraine and abroad.
Scientific workshops at the department are as follows:
1. The political transformations in post-communist societies (Head – Yu. V. Matsiievskyi, Associate Professor);
2. Political parties and party systems (Head – V.M. Lebediuk, Associate Professor);
3. The political consciousness and culture (Head – I.V. Shostak, Associate Professor);
4. Social politics and social processes in Ukraine (Head – S.Yu. Kardash, Lecturer).
Description of education and qualification levels:
Bachelor of Political Science
Political scientist is an expert in the study of the scope of political relations, political system of society, on internal and foreign policy, diagnosticians, prediction of political processes and management. Generalized object of political scientist is to analyze the political processes of society, general public administration in political and social sphere.
Students who fulfill the requirements of educational qualification of "Bachelor" are qualified "analyst", "teacher of social and human sciences", "political consultant". After receiving Bachelor’s degree, graduates of speciality "political science" can work in government, political parties and public organizations, local governments, academic and research centers to carry out teaching.
Bachelor of Political Science has the opportunity to continue their education at a higher degree (Master’s degree) at local or international universities or work:
• expert on humanitarian and social and political issues in government agencies, local government administration;
• expert on political parties, public organizations and movements, associations, foundations, etc of humanitarian and socio-political direction;
• advisor, consultant, assistant manager of institutions, organizations, including international, human resource management, organizational and educational work, training of specialists and workers;
• political scientist at research institutions, centers, research groups involved in the study and prediction of the political process;
• employees in departments of humanitarian and socio-political direction of editorial media;
• senior laboratory assistant at departments of political science, sociology, history, legal profile at universities and departments of research institutions
• teacher of schools, high schools, colleges, universities of I-IV accreditation levels, teach political science, social and political subjects.
Master of Political Science
Master of Political Science is a specialist who has completed two full cycling education. Students who fulfill the requirements of educational qualification of "Master", are qualified "analyst", "teacher of social and human sciences", "political analyst".
Posts that can take Master are defined by "The single official classification of all categories of occupations based on international standards."
Master of Political Science may seize such areas of professional activity:
- professional activities in public administration;
- research and development in the field of political science;
- work by profession in political parties and public organizations;
- teaching job with a degree in education of I-IV accreditation levels;
- analytical and advisory activities with political issues in public administration, political parties, public organizations, the media.
Master of Political Science at the level of the qualification can occupy the following positions:
• political scientist;
• employees in public administration;
• co-worker of management of inside politics of government administration (internal policies, preparation of analytical conclusions, cooperation with public organisations);
• employees of youth policy and family of government administration (organization of meetings, collaboration, action programs of youth organizations, etc.);
• assistant of government administration policies (internal policies, preparation of analytical conclusions, reference materials, organizing and conducting meetings, debates);
• analyst and consultant on political issues;
• developer of political technologies;
• teacher of social and human sciences;
• researcher by profession;
• political commentator;
• editor of social and political publications.
Master of Political Science can continue their education at postgraduate study at local universities for obtaining scientific degree of candidate of science or enter a program of doctoral studies (Ph. D.) at one of the western universities.