The Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership and International Cooperation
The Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership and International Cooperation is an exciting international program funded by a generous grant from the Fred J. Hansen Foundation. Six three-week Institutes took place in San Diego, California in July between 2007 and 2015. This program has provided a unique University-based leadership experience and program in international cooperation. Again in July 2016, American men and women will join students from a variety of developing countries and regions of social strife to learn from experts and one another about conflict resolution and social entrepreneurship. To date, 128 Hansen Alumni from 50 countries, have remained in contact, provided a network of support, and worked together on a number of social ventures funded by the Hansen Foundation. We are happy to announce the Hansen Summer Institute will host its seventh group of young leaders in July 2016 at the University of San Diego School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES).
Successful applicants must demonstrate leadership potential by having worked outside of class in community service, another public service, or in a non-governmental organization. A letter of reference from such a group or organization is required.
NON – US STUDENTS
- Upper division undergraduate with 2 years of college/university or graduate student with a professional interest in international relations, diplomacy, international economic development or related fields.
- Students must be between the ages of 20- 25 on July 1, 2016.
- Must have demonstrated leadership potential outside of the classroom in the community, nation or region.
- Have an academic adviser verify in writing the candidates English proficiency.
- Have a valid international passport with US visa if necessary by the time the program begins.
Preference may be given to students who have never been to the United States before but all qualified students are encouraged to apply.
What is Provided?
- Accommodation and meals for the duration of the program, with shared rooms with participants of the same gender.
- Transportation to/from the campus to all meetings and activities.
- Program materials.
- Certificate of Participation
- Round trip international air travel from the participant’s home town to San Diego, California.
- DS-2019 – Student and Exchange Visitor (SEVIS) fee
- Health insurance for the duration of the program.
- What is Not Provided:
Academic credit for participation in the Hansen Summer Institute (including and fees or costs associated with academic credit)
For international students
The cost of an international passport.
Costs associated with the U.S. visa application and interview at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.
The cost of a U.S. visa.