Visby Programme Scholarships
The scholarship application call for the academic year 2017/2018 is open from 1 November 2016 to 10 January 2017. About 40 scholarships will be offered.
The aim of the Visby Programme is to support individual mobility, thereby contributing to increased contacts and collaborations between actors in Sweden and countries in the EU Eastern Partnership and Russia. The goal is to build an integrated, knowledge-based and research-intense region, centred on the Baltic Sea while also including EU Eastern Partnership countries and Russia.
The Visby Programme is open to citizens of the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine. The objective is to strengthen co-operation and network-building between those countries and Sweden in fields such as higher education and research.
Who is eligible?
The programme provides PhD students and postdoctoral researchers with an opportunity to conduct research at Swedish universities within all fields of study. Candidates belonging to any of the following categories may apply:
PhD student, applying for a part of his/her ongoing PhD studies to be carried out in Sweden (12 months maximum).
Postdoctoral researcher, with priority given to holders of a PhD degree from 2012 or later (12 months maximum).
Senior scientist – holders of a PhD degree obtained before 2012 (6 months maximum).
A scholarship cannot be granted for an applicant who:
- has already lived in Sweden for two or more years when the scholarship period is due to begin
- already has a Swedish permanent residence permit
- has a Swedish work permit and is not an EU citizen
- is applying for a scholarship at PhD level but is not enrolled in ongoing PhD studies outside of Sweden
- is applying for a scholarship at postdoctoral level, but does not hold a PhD degree
- has already been awarded three or more scholarships/grants from SI.
- Selection criteria and areas of priority
- Applications are evaluated by the Swedish Institute (SI) and an academic board. The primary evaluation of the application takes into account the applicant’s academic background, personal motivation and expertise in the project field of the host department. Also evaluated is the strength of the research proposal with regards to its scientific quality, originality, methodological approach, and relevance. In the final selection of candidates SI will consider the distribution of scholarships with regards to academic fields, universities, purpose of study, nationality and gender.
Research fields within all academic disciplines are eligible.
The scholarship is free of tax and amounts to SEK 15,000 per month for PhD students and SEK 18,000 per month for postdoctoral researchers and senior scientists. The scholarship cannot be prolonged or extended.
Scholarship holders are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance against illness and accident during the scholarship period.
SI Network for Future Global Leaders
All Swedish Institute scholarship holders are invited to become members of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL), a network that offers unique opportunities during and after the stay in Sweden. Together with other talented people from all around the world, the scholarship holder is able to take part in a variety of events, exchange ideas and create networks that benefit both to career and personal development.
the scholarship is designed to cover living costs for the scholarship holder. There are no grants for family members. No funding for bench fees is provided.
the granted scholarship period cannot be altered or extended; however, it is possible to apply for subsequent funding through a new call for applications.
PhD students on a sandwich setup are allowed up to two visits per scholarship year.
in case of a postponed arrival date, the scholarship period can be decreased accordingly.
there is no travel grant included in the scholarship offer.
Application procedure and key dates
Please read the instructions and complete the application enclosures, before entering the online application form. https://applications.si.se
The scholarship application call for the academic year 2017/2018 is open from Tuesday 1 November 2016 to Tuesday 10 January 2017, 24:00 CET.
Scholarship offers will be sent to successful candidates by the end of May 2017 at the latest, and candidates are required to respond to the offer within 14 days. Please note that all decisions are sent by email only.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.