The Dean of the Faculty of “Artes Liberales” at the University of Warsaw is looking for candidates able to fill one Postdoctoral Researcher position in the project funded by the ERC Consolidator Grant: “Our Mythical Childhood... The Reception of Classical Antiquity in Children’s and Young Adults’ Culture in Response to Regional and Global Challenges” led by the Principal Investigator Professor Katarzyna Marciniak.
Location: Faculty of “Artes Liberales”, University of Warsaw
Hours: Full time
Posted: November 3, 2016
Closing date: at midnight December 2, 2016 (CET)
Planned interview date: December 12, 2016
Results announced: December 15, 2016
The project aims at developing a novel, regional approach to the reception of Classical Antiquity in children’s and young adults’ contemporary culture with the aim to gain deeper understanding of the key social, political, and cultural transformations underway across the world. The added value of the research work, carried out by an international team of scholars, will be its broad impact on the frontiers of scholarship, education, and culture. Inter alia, we will elaborate a supra-regional survey of classical references, publish a number of analyses of crucial reception cases, and organize dissemination activities, thus stimulating cultural exchange (en.uw.edu.pl).
- The successful candidate is expected to join the part of the team based in Warsaw – s/he will participate in project’s events, regular meetings, dissemination activities, etc.; s/he will take active part in three Grant conferences;
- S/he will carry out her/his research on a topic within the Grant presenting the results in a monograph. The monograph will be the candidate’s “Habilitation” in literature or cultural studies. It will be written in English and it must be published not later than on 30 December 2020;
- S/he will collaborate with other team members from Warsaw and from the Beneficiary Institutions abroad, examining selected reception patterns;
- S/he will publish papers and contribute to the publications within the Grant, incl. chapters in the joint volumes;
- S/he will produce entries for the database of classical references Our Mythical Childhood Survey as well as for the database Our Mythical Education;
- S/he will pursue administrative and organizational activities within the Grant.
The successful candidate will display exceptional self-discipline and responsibility in performing her/his duties. Because of the truly international character of the team (scholars from various continents), s/he will be open to intercultural collaboration. Central to the Grant is also the successful candidate’s genuine interest in the research theme. S/he will be well organized and motivated.
- Very good (documented by certificates, diplomas, or her/his own intellectual activity) knowledge of English which is the main language of the project;
- Good working knowledge of two other modern languages (incl. mother tongue if different from English);
- Good reading skills in Latin, with the help of a dictionary; knowledge of Ancient Greek will be an additional advantage;
- Excellent Doctoral Dissertation in the Humanities and excellent MA degree in the Humanities with preference for Classics, Modern Philologies (incl. Polish Philology), Cultural Studies, History, Art History, Philosophy;
- Documented achievements in research work with a special focus on children’s and young adults’ culture and Classical Reception Studies (for example: publications, conferences, research projects, scholarships, awards, research experience abroad, organizational experience, involvement in popularization activities).
- Work in a friendly and passionately committed international team, in the milieu of the Faculty of “Artes Liberales,” whose mission is to build a research community;
- Potential for personal intensive scholarly development, as well as contribution to developing the discipline during the implementation of the project of frontier and cutting-edge research;
- Contract of employment for one year with the possibility of extensions, providing that the yearly evaluations of the Postdoctoral Researcher are positive. The funds for this post are available for a total of 54 months, with a monthly salary brutto of 4,200 PLN. Contract includes all benefits of a standard employment contract (insurance, pension and disability fund premiums, seniority etc.).
- The successful applicant will have the possibility to obtain “Habilitation”- degree in literature or cultural studies from the Faculty of “Artes Liberales”, University of Warsaw – an excellent research centre, among the leading institutions which conduct transdisciplinary and experimental research programmes;
- S/he will have the possibility to apply for support from the Grant to participate in international conferences or in short research trips necessary to carry out the project or to present its results;
- S/he will have the possibility to obtain financial means to publish her/his “Habilitation”- monograph within the Grant, on the condition that it meets standards of excellence.
Please provide the following documents (in English, French, German, Italian, or Polish):
- CV, incl. list of publications, conferences, awards and scholarships, didactic experience, organizational experience, experience in scholarly centres abroad, popularization activities, funding ID incl. all the current grants and any on-going grant applications,
- Cover letter addressing all crucial information related to your interest in the project and qualifications for this position,
- Copies of academic records (BA – if applicable, MA, PhD diploma, language certificates),
- Samples of written work (up to 5 texts),
- Research proposal within the Grant, incl. the plan of your monograph – “Habilitation” (max. 2,000 words),
- Any additional material that may document your excellence in research,
We require also two letters of reference on behalf of the Applicant (in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, or Russian) provided by experienced scholars from Poland or abroad. Please submit the documents electronically (PDF files only) to Dr. Elżbieta Olechowska (firstname.lastname@example.org) before midnight December 2, 2016 (CET), quoting in the title the following reference: ERC OMC Postdoctoral Researcher. You will receive a confirmation of receipt from Dr. Olechowska by e-mail within three days of your submission. If your application is not acknowledged, please call us before December 7, 2016, at +48 22 55 20 131, extension 208, Monday to Friday, between 11.30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Attention: Referees should send their letters directly to Dr. Elżbieta Olechowska (email@example.com) by the closing date, i.e., before midnight, December 2, 2016 (CET). The candidate should not attach any letters of reference to her/his application. Remember to quote: ERC OMC Postdoctoral Researcher in all the correspondence related to the vacancy. We will invite shortlisted candidates for an interview (in person or via Skype, if the candidate is prevented from coming in person to the Faculty by valid reasons. The Faculty does not reimburse costs related to the arrival for the interview).
The successful candidate is expected to start in January 2017. The Faculty is an equal opportunity employer. Among candidates otherwise equally qualified, preference will be given to candidates with disabilities. We reserve the right not to fill the positions and re-open the competition in case the applicants fall short of the requirements. For the Polish please version visit